- In this article, we will see how to create and populate dropdown in excel file.
- We often come across requirement where we need to create and populate dropdown in excel file specially while developing bulk upload functionalities.
- First we will see how to create dropdown and then we will see how to populate it.
How to Create :
We can create dropdown for single column or for entire column. We can create dropdown for entire column by clicking the header and following the below steps.
1. Click the entire column.
2. Select the Data tab from main menu.
3. After clicking Data Validation, window slides down, select Data Validation.
The image is shown below for above steps :
4. On clicking the Data Validation option a window opens as shown below :
5. On selecting List option it asks for source to populate dropdown.
6. For now we can select any other cell of excel and click ok. This will create the dropdown, but without values.
How to populate :
1. In order to populate dropdown, we will create list in the excel file itself and select it as our source.
I have created a list and selected as source for our dropdown.
2. The dropdown looks like below :
3. We can also create the list in another sheet and select it as our source. We can even hide the list which contains source for drodpwon, so that the user cannot access or manipulate the list.
4. We can also create name for the list, and use the defined name as source to populate our drodpwon.
Thus the above steps is how we can create and populate dropdown in excel.